- Sticks/Willow twigs
- Masking tape
- Wet strength tissue paper
- Decorations e.g coloured paper & glitter
- PVA glue (mixed with water to a ratio 1:1)
- Brush or Sponge
- 1 x torch or some battery powered tea lights
- 1 x lantern stick
- Make any 3D shape from the willow and tape the ends and points together where the sticks join, ensuring you make strong joints. If you are adopting the ‘Magical Creatures’ theme for 2023, imagine your creatures in 3D – with circular legs, or oval bodies. Wings, horns, and other magical things can then be added and embellished in the decorating phase. Our staff at the workshops will be on hand to help you plan your lantern.
- Strongly fix a bamboo pole through the centre of the Lantern to carry it above the head. It may be helpful to place a withy ‘X’ through the centre of the lantern to reinforce it and affix the bamboo pole through the centre. This pole is also the attachment point for the torch at a later date. Alternatively, tie a loop of string from the top point to hold / tie the lantern on a bamboo pole like a fishing rod. In this case, you might consider a string of battery-powered fairy lights to illuminate it.
- Fix the 3D Lantern frame to a table or chair so it is sturdy.
- Saturate one side of a square of wet-strength white tissue paper with the PVA solution using a sponge and lay the tissue over your frame. Repeat this process until the entire frame has been covered, making sure that each tissue square is overlapping.
- Decorate your lantern with coloured paper or glitter.
- Leave to dry.
- Lastly, attach a torch or battery-powered tea or fairy lights to the pole with tape so it shines upwards and enjoy the parade!
Lantern Making Packs – SOLD OUT as of 28.11.23
Due to demand lantern making packs will be available from the BID Leamington Office (Monday to Friday between10am – 3pm only) and from workshop venue (suggested donation £3) so you and your family can make them at home. This will include detailed instructions, a bundle of withy, a bamboo carrying pole and some wet strength white tissue paper. You can purchase other decorating materials, masking tape, pva glue and torches from local retailers.
The BID Leamington Office is open Monday – Friday 10am – 3pm (cash only). For more information phone us on: 01926 470 634 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at:
35C Park Court,